Something I hear over and over again from clients rushing to school in the morning is “I do not have time to eat breakfast.” From elementary school students through college students this breakfast excuse does not change. For all of you non breakfast eating readers of my blog, you are in luck! With these easy on the go breakfast ideas, I don’t have time for breakfast will be a thing of the past.
There is a reason you were always told breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Break up the word breakfast and you have break and fast. Since we are fasting while we are sleeping it is important to break that fast in the morning to fuel our bodies and minds with energy for the day. This is important for student athletes to help them concentrate in class and perform their best at practice and game time. Even if practice or game time is not until after school, what you eat through the day will give you the energy you need and breakfast will kickstart your day and metabolism.
I recommend having multiple food groups at each meal to get the most nutrients, and having a combination of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats at breakfast will give you staying power until lunch.
EASY ON THE GO BREAKFAST IDEAS
*these breakfasts can all be prepared the night before leaving no excuses!
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich
- Yogurt parfait (Greek yogurt, berries, your favorite cereal or granola)
- Hardboiled eggs with an apple or on toast
- Oatmeal (When prepared in the microwave it can be ready in under 5 minutes)! Top with your favorite combination of nuts, seeds, dried and fresh fruit
- Whole grain waffles with nut butter or the nut free alternative of your choice topped with berries or a banana
- Whole grain waffles topped with yogurt and a banana or berries
- Make a large egg frittata early in the week stuffed with vegetables and grab a slice
- Baked Oatmeal Muffins (See recipe below!)
Remember, hydration is important too! Carry a water bottle with your on the go breakfast!